Thursday, May 28, 2009

Old School ice cream headache!

The rampant expansion of the Old School Renaissance is driving me mad, mad I tell you! For nearly twenty years, I thought I was just about the last guy on earth who gave a crap about AD&D, or OD&D. I was pretty isolated, I guess. I just didn't run into anyone else who still played.
I hadn't paid any attention to the internet since the late eighties, when it was all still bulletin boards and Zork. My wife finally insisted we get access, and so I start poking and googling around, and low and behold, Dragonsfoot.
I lurked there for years, then Knights & Knaves, Original D&D Discussion, more, more, blogs show up, It's an embarrassment of riches.
Now the game blogs are multiplying like Borg, I can't friggen keep up! I've only got a few listed in my side bar, but my gaming folder in my favorites on IE takes a 12 count to scroll to the bottom. I feel like I've been dragging myself across the desert for two decades and fallen into a gaming oasis. Now there are so many great sites, and bloggers, putting up so much great stuff, that I know I'm missing a lot of it. There isn't time in the day for me to hit all the rpg sites I like. It's maddening!
I can stuff myself on tasty new Old Guard gaming until d20s and character sheets come out my nose. I have to pace myself now, it's gotten to the point where I'm considering working out a blog visiting schedule, since I can only spend so much time online, and there's so much ground to cover.
Even the fights are awesome to me. So much eye-gouging and hair-pulling is only possible because the game is still important, and thus, still alive.
So, create, share, argue, discuss, theorize, and fight on you mad bastards, fight on!

4 comments:

Timothy S. Brannan said...

Case in point. I just found YOUR blog today. It takes me hours to read everything anymore.

Long live "Old School"!

E.G.Palmer said...

It's just nuts, isn't it? I love the flood of ideas, but I know I'm missing stuff since there's just no time to read it all. I suppose it's better than not having it at all though.

Sham aka Dave said...

Agreed. When I started mine up in February last year, I swear there were only a handful. Now I find I am following 65 or so. Crazy. The thing that really irks me is there are so many that I sometimes forget to use the follow option. Either that or blogger drops the feed for some reason. I swear there are a couple I've had to add more than once...or maybe there are just so many now I'm losing it.

E.G.Palmer said...

Sham, glade to see you, I love the Grog n blog. I've seen followers disappear for a few days and then reappear. At first I thought I was pissing people off, now it just looks like a random fluctuation in the blogosphere.