Thursday, March 11, 2010

Hmmm, have you guys seen this?

I don't usually visit Something Awful, but I followed a link from Boing Boing, which I enjoy, even though it's clogged with moonbats.

I never know what to make of this sort of commentary about D&D by people outside the active game world. They seem like blathering philistines, but there is some oblique admiration for Gygax.

There are some nice little scans of Original D&D art, so, there's that.


http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/steve-old-gygax.php?page=1

4 comments:

Dennis Laffey said...

It's a humor series. I've been reading it off and on for a while now. Their run-through of Deities and Demigods was hilarious.

letsdamage said...

I'm pretty sure both of those guys play D&D, or at least used to. They are clearly fans, so I'd say it's all in good fun.

Chris said...

I really like the "WTF D&D?!" series. Zack and Steve know us (and the sacred cows of our hobby) entirely too well.

"Will any grog' who has never engaged in their kind of MST3King of the game during post-game bull sessions please raise his/her/its' hand/flipper/pseudopod?"

Matt said...

My favorite parts were the Medusa exchange and this bit from the last set of comments:

"Gygax didn't have 50 writers and 100 artists and color printing. He just went out there and said, hey, here's how you subdue a dragon and sell it as a slave. Here's what a robot is doing in a fantasy game. Deal with it. I made it up, deal with it."