Thursday, March 17, 2011

Old things and rare my treasures are.


Survivors beyond memory
Old things and rare my treasures are.
Times folded gates, fast closed to me,
These lonely sentinels unbar.

Years do not weary them, nor mar
Their power of ancient wizardry;
Things old and rare my treasures are
Enchantment seeking memory.

Scarred wreck of long forgotten war
Austere, unchanging, silently
Dream, and the drums faint and far
Arouse the blazoned years for me.

Enchantment wakens memory;
Old things and rare my treasures are.


A poem by Ewart Oakeshott.



I wrote previously of Ewart Oakeshott, the rightly respected scholar of the sword. The above poem refers to his own collection of historic swords, and the sense of connection with the far away and long ago they brought to him.

Some might deride this as nostalgia or fantasy, but the past is never past for me.

AD&D is my old treasure, but when I draw it from the sheath,its still as sharp as the day it was forged.

Up the Old Guard!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

*raises sword in salute*
very nice poem
Thanks for sharing... and I share your sentiments, too.

C'nor (Outermost_Toe) said...

Speaking of treasures, I used your dragon generator recently. Cool stuff ensued.

E.G.Palmer said...

That's excellent,C'nor! I'd like to hear more about what happened. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy when my stuff gets other DM's players mauled.

James Tech said...

Nice post....
mcafee.com/activate,
www.mcafee.com/activate,
www.mcafee.com/activate total protection,
www.mcafee.com/activate product key

ava clark said...

Canon printers are ideal for every situation wherever you need a document, paper, or photo print or even if you wish to scan, fax, and do more
canon.com/ijsetup | ij.start canon | ij.start.canon | http://ij.start.canon | https://ij.start.canon

ross pearl said...

x

Wait for the download to complete; then, open the file on your device, follow the screen prompt to install.

After the general overview, let’s see how to install the norton.com setup on different devices.Open your browser

Type Norton com setup sign in or the URL
Sign in to your Norton setup account

Hit on the download button

Check the license agreement before clicking the download

Select the option per your browser

Tap on the ‘Run’ icon

Now, the account control window opens

Click on continue





norton.com/setup
www.norton.com/setup
norton setup

vbsourav said...

Hello friends,
This blog is very nice. And poem is beautiful meaning. Thank you for given good information.

Best Sandalwood Powder
This website gives sandalwood powder which is good for skin. and It is very nice product you can buy this product from above link and get discount. Please visit.
Baby Molish Oil
Here we can get massage oil for strong bone and good healthy skin for babies. This massage oil best shop in India we can get . Please visit this link.